Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Into the Belly of the Beast

I own a small truck. An S-10 I bought for $500 from a coworker. I only used it a few times before I lent it to a friend that needed better transportation. When a beat up, rusted pickup with no tailgate is "better", you know the situation wasn't ideal.

Because I'm going to need as many ways to move stuff between storage units and from the garage and yard, I reclaimed my little truck yesterday. I checked to make sure that transportation wasn't going to be a problem. It wasn't, so the crap truck came home.

Once back in my possession I took care to fill the tank and check the lights. I'm still getting reacquainted with the clutch and the engine sounds that indicate when to shift gears. I never got a good chance to learn the ins and outs of this vehicle the first time I had it. That will change over the next couple of months.  I'll likely spend at least one round trip a day ferreting things from the house to storage, to the other storage and back again.

Tonight wasn't a ferreting trip, though. It was an exploration.  I hadn't seen the inside of the existing storage unit in two years. My memories of the contents were lovecraftian at best. Nightmare images of boxes and stacked fixtures haunted me as I drove over. I was glad the S-10 is a standard because it took my mind off what I was going to see.

In reality the space isn't that bad.  There's a walkway in the center. That immediately indicated to me that there was hope I could get to anything I decided to grab and move. I was also surprised how many of the fluff I'd ordered in was still there.  Maquettes, busts, sealed boxes of cards and figures, all of it just there and easy to find.  The first few sets of ads I put up will be much faster to create than I had feared.

Everything is dusty, of course, and plenty of webs and other indications of spider and insect activity are abundant, but not so much so that I fear an infestation. That part won't be too difficult to deal with, either. In all I'm pretty happy with the condition of things. I think I'll be able to deal with most of it on my own, as long as the truck holds up, that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment